Thursday 24 February 2011

More work on Owen Drive - adding quality textures

I've now been to get some high res local shots of one of the units in Owen Drive, and played around with them.  Technically it's not difficult to manipulate them to get what I need, but it is fairly time consuming.  I took several images and extracted the building face in the right perspective using Photoshop, then merged the different parts of the building face together.  Then I reduced the resulting image size to the maximum allowed by my texture map (512x512) and edited the smaller image to get rid of artifacts like the car roofs that were plaguing the building sides.

The resulting model is below, compared side by side with the original test model I mapped with low res textures ripped from Bing maps.








The difference is quite clear, but is it worth the extra time taken?  On balance I think it is, because most of the buildings won't have as many artifacts to remove and I could have taken better pics from different angles to reduce the amount of image joining I had to do. 

The only possible problem apart from time then, will be if I can't get into a site to take the necessary high res images.  I may have to resort to using some low res textures and beefing them up in photoshop, but again that could be time consuming.

I'm definitely going to finish the Owen Drive area with high res and see how that looks in FSX when it's completed, then I'll make a final decision.

No comments: