Monday 21 February 2011

A test model - proving I can actually do this....

I've set to work and looked at the first area on my list, a small industrial estate off Speke Hall Avenue.  This is an attempt at one of the 5 units there.  It's a fairly basic box rectangle with slightly angled roof elements, so a good place to start.

The roof was taken from Google Maps and the sides from a birds eye image from Bing maps.  I used these images as they were easily obtainable with out moving and they prove the concept, although for the real thing I want to use better quality imagery taken myself on site wherever possible.  The textures were all laid out on one image file to reduce drawcalls.

I then used Arno's ModelConverterX to export this model as a .mdl to use in FSX before making it into a library object using EZ Scenery 2.  I don't know whether it was my install but it took a little bit of trial and error to get that to work - the install didn't seem to pick up on many of the paths of files it needed from the FSX SDK (scenery developers kit?).

After that was fixed it was a doddle, ModelConverterX did all the hard work! (Thanks Arno!)

I managed to place the model into the sim, and it fitted perfectly into Gen X, the dimensions of the building having been taken from Google too to make it as accurate as possible :)

The only problem I've had has been FSX crashing repeatedly when it's been trying to rebuild the scenery .cfg files as I tried to work with EZ Scenery 2.  Maybe that's me overloading my system but I did try to shut down every program I didn't need first and turn off all traffic, weather etc on FSX to reduce the system load.

Maybe it will work better after a reboot, sometimes things like that happen, but I've successfully managed to create a 3D model, texture it, and get it into FSX.   Only 8 bazillion buildings left to go! :p

Next >> Machine specs I'm working with...

No comments: