Friday 28 December 2012

Jersey - An Unsettling Thought...

I suddenly realised that I was heading down a slippery path...  I have managed to be able to do the following now:
  • Photoscenery - using either sourced imagery and SBuilderX (as in my first Liverpool project) and over a wider area using FSET.  I can also do watermasks and blends with those.
  • Autogen - using annotator in the FSX SDK.  I've looked through the SDK and I think it should be fairly easy to use bespoke models as custom autogen in principle.  (However, when I tried to open the program to do this it crashed and I haven't looked into whether it can be fixed yet.)
  • Custom scenery models - using Sketchup, ModelConverterX and Instant Scenery.
  • Default airport layouts - using ADEX.
What I haven't yet mastered are 3 critical elements to be able to produce any reasonable scenery area:
  1. Water and Landclass areas - to get the right representation of land and water.  (Although I believe that using Google Earth, together with FSX_KML and SBuilderX I can fairly easily learn to do this properly.)
  2. Mesh and terrain modelling - I've been reading up on this a LOT over the past two days.
  3. Ground Polygons - I think this can be done without too much hassle through ModelConverterX but I haven't done any reading or research about it yet.
So...I decided to bite off way more than I can probably chew...and try to see if I can do a halfway decent job on creating a whole scenery area somewhere, just to prove I can do it :)

It would have to be somewhere that doesn't really have a good scenery already existing, (or it wouldn't be worthwhile doing it!), have decent existing photoscenery data available, and not be large enough to take a decade to actually do!   The first idea that came to mind was Jersey, in the Channel islands, as it has not been done properly yet as far as I know, there is good photoimagery for the island and I have surrounding sceneries from Earth Simulations and FranceVFR that I could fly to and from with it...

The next post will detail how I'm going to start this mammoth (for me) task.  It might go slowly and take some time, but hopefully I'll explain each step as I work it out, so it will be both a learning experience for me and might just stimulate someone else to help out! :p

No comments: