Sunday 10 July 2011

GenX v3 update vol 3

I had the dubious pleasure of installing PlayHorizons VFR Photographic Scenery v3 Vol3 when it arrived this week.  I bought this because Liverpool is explicitly covered with the new 60cm imagery and I wanted to see how far it extended and whether it would make my custom ground texture for the Estuary Business Park obsolete.

The 60cm imagery does not cover the whole of the city I'm afraid and just about goes as far as Garston Docks, missing out the whole scenery area I am intending to cover.  If you're interested, I was a little disappointed, not just because the imagery is years old (I had harboured a hope that it might have been updated as there's been loads of new development in Liverpool over the past few years, but also because there were some quite serious and awful to look at mistakes included.  The ground textures don't fully cover the land, leaving some largish white triangles straddling the coastline.  The water masks aren't properly aligned leaving some nasty effects right through the middle of Garston Docks.  And the colours are as reported across the whole range, in that they are somewhat greener than the rest of the v2 Gen X range.  The colours are a subjective thing, either you can put up with them or you can't, but the white triangles and water masks are plain disappointing - they just shouldn't have released a product with those kind of errors.  Now, I uninstalled the update straight away, and it removed all water from my world - the Mersey estuary and Irish sea suddenly became fields :p  It's also affected some of my other scenery areas to the extent I've had to go back and reinstall them fully again.  Not quite a bitter taste in the mouth but not far off either. 

Does this mean I won't be buying from PlayHorizons again?  No, I will, as they've got more stuff in the pipeline (60cm imagery for the whole of Scotland) that I'd like to see.  Just like Earth Simulations, if we don't support these guys we won't get lovely new eye candy from them because in this tough old world they'll go out of business.  That doesn't mean that we shouldn't point out the problems and errors and insist they are fixed though!!!

What does all this mean for my scenery around Liverpool? Mainly, that I didn't waste my time making the custom ground textures!  wooo!   Second, that you should bear with me if my stuff contains errors because I'm doing this for fun :)  Third, that I should probably invest some time in making the proper night textures for my custom ground area as it definitely won't be covered by any other product in the near future.....

No comments: