Tuesday 1 March 2011

Problem fixes

Earlier I posted I had had some problems with the vehicle scenery I used not showing up until opened in IS2, and also not being able to get flattening polygons to work correctly. 

The vehicles were from the FSXP_Vehicles.bgl from the global scenery folder, so should have worked.  However, even after deleted and re-adding them they wouldn't show up in FSX alone, so I went with removing them and adding every car individually from another library.  This is more time consuming but more authentic as I can place every single vehicle exactly where I want it.  However, if anyone can explain why a global scenery object doesn't display I'd be happy to get to the bottom of the mystery!

As for the flattening polygons, I played around with SBuilderX a bit more.  Having found a useful tool at http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm which allows you to find the altitude level at any point on a standard Google map, I could make sure that I was trying to make the flatten at the correct level.  Once I'd compiled the bgl file though and tried to do a flatten for my second scenery area at Bleinhem Way I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did.  To try and work it out I made the flatten at 10m above where I wanted it, which I know is far higher than the surrounding area.  Thus I could clearly see whether my flatten polygon was having any effect on the landscape mesh. 


The images above highlighted the problem and the root cause.  The top picture shows the area I wanted to flatten and you can see it sitting on a plateau with the cliff edge visible on the bottom sides.  This image was taken with all add-on scenery disabled in FSX.  Then I turned on the only other scenery I had activated before, which was Gary Summons' VFR Airfields 3.  Lo and behold, my problem showed itself, demonstrated in the bottom pic by the area shaded yellow, where a section of my flatten has just disappeared.  There appears to be some element of Gary's EGGP model which is affecting my flatten and cutting a chunk out of it, even though it's higher in the scenery order than his.

There's nothing I can do other than to wait for Gary to come back to me and see if he can fix that.

No comments: